Friday, November 23, 2007

Giving Thanks

Sorry it's been so long since I updated this site. I was stuck with no progress in my knee for three weeks and was discouraged, to say the least.

I still have pain in the knee. It never goes away, but it is low-grade most of the time. Occasionally, especially after standing for a long time, it is severe enough that it keeps me from doing much of anything and makes even lying down difficult. I've been taking three Norco (Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen) a day for seven weeks. Stopped taking Oxycontin on Sept. 27 and took four Norco a day for a week, than switched to three. Tried cutting down to two for a couple of days last week, but that didn't work! I do NOT like taking this stuff. I see the surgeon on Dec. 3 and shall see what he says about it.

I go every Tuesday morning for Physical Therapy. There is a group of us, all with total knee replacements, but the PT works with each of us individually. (The PT I mentioned in my last update was John, from Home Health Care. Now I've graduated to going in to the Kaiser "gym.") I like Nancy, the PT, very much. I had worked with her a couple of years ago. It was good to see a familiar face and to have someone who knew me a little. She measures the bend in my knee and also how straight it can get. The goal is 120 degrees [I HATE the keyboard on computers. Where is the degree sign? Where is the pound, English money, sign? My ancient Olivetti portable had both!] for the bend, although much more realistic is 110. Nancy says the doctors stop measuring at 110. The goal on the straight leg is 0 degrees. I had been stuck on 104 and 11. Last Tuesday I made it to 107 and 7. Hurrah! Nancy works with my knee each time and says it feels to her that there is room for improvement still. My arthritis kicks in every morning, especially as the weather gets colder and damper. It takes a few hours for the joints to warm up and do their best. But, I can usually walk up and down stairs normally; my gait is close to normal and I can walk almost as fast as I could a couple of years ago; I can sit at the computer or in a meeting or whatever without much pain although I can't keep my right knee totally bent for long. (I've had to have an aisle seat in theaters and airplanes for my right leg for about 15 years, so this is nothing new.)

I'm afraid to say it, but it does look as if the spine surgery in January was a total success. I have lower back pain from arthritis almost all the time, but it's certainly no worse than it was a few years ago and it may be a little better. I've had this since 1971 so I'm used to it! There is, however, NO nerve pain! What a miracle!

When I think back to all the days in the last year or two when I could barely walk from living room to kitchen, when a block was more than I could manage without stopping and screaming, when I had to cancel almost all activities, when pain dominated and controlled my life, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

Had my fourth bone density scan done a couple of weeks ago. I've lost a little density since the last one in May, 2004, but the readings are still excellent. T-scores compare the density to that of a young normal woman. Osteopenia is defined as a T-score of - 1.1 to -2.4; osteoporosis is defined as a T-score of less than -2.5. My T-scores are +1.5 (lumbar) and +0.5 (hip). This is wonderful for someone as klutzy as I am! I have fallen many times and never broken anything.

So today I have much to be grateful for. Not only am I alive, having survived two surgeries, but I can, for the most part, live the life I want. My food plan is troublesome and certainly restricts some traveling and makes spontaneous outings difficult if not impossible, but I'd rather have these restrictions than have to take medication. My diabetes continues to be under control just through diet. Thirteen years ago my blood pressure was very high and I was put on meds. Soon after I started the food plan, I went off the meds. Now my blood pressure is excellent.

I give thanks for all my friends. I could not have done the surgeries without them. They drove me, cooked for me, delivered food to the hospital (I had to take ALL my own food; the hospital could provide nothing that was on my food plan), phoned me, visited me, did my dishes, sat nearby while I showered and then dried my feet, ran errands (drugs! prune juice!), and provided encouragement and support and sympathy. Amazing.

And, of course, I give thanks for Achates and Creusa. One could not find two more beautiful and loving dogs. I am grateful that fate led to me greyhounds. I am grateful for the friends I've made in the greyhound group. And I am so full of love for my hounds that sometimes I think I could just burst.

This message is a bit long! Congratulations to those of you who made it to the end. I give thanks to you all for staying in touch, for providing support and encouragement, for caring.

Much love to you,
Janet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home